Providing Legal Aid After Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents
Biking and walking as forms of transportation have become increasingly popular in the Austin community. These are healthy alternatives that also help you save some money. Whether you are walking or biking, you still take safety precautions and follow the rules of the road. Unfortunately, accidents still happen. At J. Torrez Law P.C., I understand the devastating impact these types of accidents have on victims and am equipped to help you as you fight to recover.
Understanding the Impact of Injuries
Bicycle and pedestrian accidents often result in serious, catastrophic injuries. When walking or riding a bike, you usually have little to protect yourself from the impact of being hit by a car. Common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
- Spine and neck injuries
- Loss of limbs
These types of injuries can impact your way of life and future. Accidents can happen for a number of reasons. Oftentimes, drivers do not share the roadway as they should. Motorists are used to looking for other large vehicles and forget to check for bicycles or to watch crosswalks for people walking or running. Distracted and impaired drivers may swerve into other lanes or off the road, causing a collision. Regardless of how an accident happens, negligent motorists must take responsibility for the injuries they caused. A bicycle injury is no small matter.
I work diligently to not only hold motorists accountable, but to also ensure they become more aware of the increasing presence of bicyclists and people walking.
Advocating for Justice
If you and your family enjoy walking, jogging, or biking, please always abide by rules and regulations. Use designated crosswalks and hand signals. Wear safety equipment including a helmet and reflective gear.
In the event of an accident, contact my Austin office. Don’t fight alone, let me help you. I advocate for injury victims throughout Travis, Williamson, Hays, Caldwell, Bastrop, and Bexar counties here in Texas, and I strive to keep the roadways of our community as safe as possible.
Fighting for Truck Accident Injury Victims
Commercial and semi-trucks serve a necessary purpose. Our community, stores, and economy rely on these vehicles to transport goods from facilities to distributors. The Austin area has a lot of truck traffic on the nearby highways and interstates. Sharing the roadway with these vehicles is something we have become accustomed to. While truck drivers are required a special license, training, and to follow the laws, these vehicles can still cause and be involved in accidents. If you are involved in an accident with a truck, contact me at J. Torrez Law P.C. I will help you take action so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Investigating the Cause
The size, shape, and weight of trucks make them particularly dangerous when accidents occur. The injuries sustained by victims are often serious due to the impact such a large vehicle has when colliding with a smaller automobile.
While most truck drivers abide by rules and regulations, accidents can still happen. Sometimes an accident is due to driver negligence, but other factors can contribute to a crash. Common causes for truck wrecks include:
- Driver fatigue
- Insufficient training and inexperience
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Driver impairment
- Uneven and improper vehicle load
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Misuse of underride protection
Both truck drivers and other motorists can sustain injuries and be victims depending on the circumstances. I will investigate the accident, listen to your needs and advocate for justice on your behalf.
Seeking Justice and Accountability
When you work with me, you will have a partner who truly cares about your future and well-being. I know that several different people can be held accountable for trucking accidents, and I will investigate to ensure that the right individuals are held liable.
Responsibility can fall on:
- The driver
- The trucking company
- The company that loaded the vehicle
- The company that owns and maintains the vehicle
If you have sustained a semi-tractor-trailer injury, I know you are a fighter, and I want to assist you with your recovery efforts. Contact me today by email, or call my office to set up a consultation. I am proud to assist my community here in Texas and can arrange at-home or hospital visits if needed.
Educating You for Positive Results
No one sets out for their commute expecting an accident to happen. You are a safe driver and do your best to follow the rules, stay alert and use your turn signal. You don’t anticipate being involved in an accident, but it can happen. Knowing what to do when you are involved in a crash could help you in the long run. At J. Torrez Law P.C., I help people who have been injured in all types of motor vehicle wrecks as they fight for compensation and accountability. I also strive to promote safe roadway practices and want my clients to know how best to handle scary, unexpected situations.
What to Do After an Accident
The moves you make after a crash may not only impact your case, but they can also be imperative to the safety of others and your health.
These are the steps to take after an accident:
- Promote safety: Check on other passengers and parties to see if any serious injuries occurred. Call for an ambulance and assistance. If possible, move the vehicles to the side of the road or set up flares or reflectors to alert other motorists.
- Call the police: Notify law enforcement of the accident. They can make a record of the incident and also come to the scene to assist in promoting safety.
- Document the scene: Take pictures of the vehicles from different angles and all damage to property. Photograph injuries as well.
- Catalog all pertinent information: Take down the names and contact information of the other party, insurance company representatives, adjusters, witnesses, and law enforcement or emergency responders. Keep an ongoing record of medical bills, treatments, conversations with doctors and insurance companies.
- Watch what you say: Be careful with your words. Do not apologize, as that can make you seem at fault. Use legal advice when reporting to law enforcement, and do not relay unnecessary details to medical staff, EMT’s or other individuals. Do not post anything on social media or talk about the accident with friends.
- Contact an attorney: Speak with an attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer will advise you on what to say to police, adjusters, and other parties.
At J. Torrez Law P.C., I will participate in prerecorded statements with adjusters and am capable of working as a translator to assist with language barriers. I also advise my clients to seek medical attention, regardless of how they feel immediately after a crash. Common injuries such as whiplash, may not show symptoms right away.
Advising You Through Every Step
If you have questions about any of these steps or have been involved in an accident, contact me today. Call my office to set up a consultation. Located in Austin, I serve individuals throughout Travis, Williamson, Hays, Caldwell, Bastrop, and Bexar counties, as well as the surrounding areas in Texas.